There are a bevy of ways to earn a coveted invitation to golf’s greatest tournament. Some are more well-known: Winning any Tour Championship points-eligible tournament in the 12 months since the last Masters Tournament guarantees an invitation. And of course, winning the Masters guarantees a spot in the field as long as the player wishes to compete.
But do you know of the others?
We’ve created a quiz to test your knowledge. Some are true/false questions, others are fill in the blank. See how much you know! (Answers are at the bottom – special thanks to Augusta.com for keeping tabs on all the latest!)
- True or False? Winners of The Open Championship, U.S. Open Championship, PGA Championship, and The Players Championship receive invitations to compete for the next five years.
- True or False? Players on the top 30 of the year-end money list of the previous calendar year receive automatic qualification into the field.
- True or False? The top four players and ties from the previous three major tournaments (Open Championship, U.S. Open, PGA Championship)
- The top __ players and ties from the previous Masters Tournament receive entry into the next year’s event.
- Which current titleholder does NOT qualify for the Masters Tournament? US Amateur Champion, U.S. Mid-Amateur Champion, U.S. Amateur Public Links Champion, Latin America Amateur Champion, Asia-Pacific Amateur Champion, British Amateur Champion.
- The top 50 listed in the Official World Golf Ranking __ week(s) before the latest Tournament receive an invitation.
See the answers below – and contact us if you want to see all of those who qualify for the 2016 Masters Tournament in person in Augusta, Ga.!
- False. Winners of The Players Championship receive a three-year exemption into the tournament.
- False. This was a way to receive entry into the Masters, but was removed in 2013 in an effort to invite more PGA Tour winners to the field.
- All of those champions receive entry into the field!
- One. The top 50 on the year-end Official World Golf Ranking also receive an automatic entry.
How did you do? See you in Augusta!